Given the state of the economy David Cameron might be tempted to use the Party Conference to elevate himself to a foreign policy Prime Minister. Today’s report in the Guardian enables him to do that. It lends credence to the argument that Cameron took on the selfish realist view, apparantly advanced by MI6, and saved Benghazi from a Srebrenica-type massacre. It chimes with Blair’s leadership on the Kosovo crisis. Indeed Cameron seems to be following the historical script, issuing his own words of advice to the UN. He in effect told the General Assembly that the UN has to act tougher or become irrelevant. Such words contributed to the arguments for war against Iraq. Further thoughts can be found in my contribution to the Foreign Policy Centre blog.
- Abdulmutallab Alexander Arab Spring Awlaki Blair Bosnia Brennan Cameron Cohen conservatism democracy promotion detention drones Gaddafi Guantanamo hierarchy humanitarian intervention ICC imminence Iran Iraq Iraq Inquiry Jenkins Kennan Kosovo Kosvo Labour Latif liberal conservatism liberal interventionism Libya military commissions moralism nashiri NATO neoconservatism New Statesman new statesman; liberal interventionism niger Palestine Preventive Military Action PSD10 Rawnsley realism regime change riots sanctions Security Council self-defense Stewart Syria targeted killing UN United Nations unreasonable veto UN Security Council veto war on terror WMD Yemen
- RT @estrangeirada: A good job opportunity for @POLISatLeeds @LeedsUniCareers graduates. twitter.com/involveUK/stat… 1 day ago
- RT @joshua_landis: You r correct that 4 many Syrians trapped under bad regime in 2010, life was v bad. But destroying state, as in Irq/Liby… 4 days ago
- RT @joshua_landis: "Most" arms being supplied to Syrian rebels were going to radicals - Washington knew this by mid-2012. Took 5 more years… 4 days ago
- Tragedy is US policy was guided by half measures when polit. reality demanded firm commitment either way #endsmeans washingtonpost.com/world/national… 6 days ago
- RT @SSPLeeds: Want to re-live your graduation? Watch it back online ow.ly/rcx830dv8DX https://t.co/BkoWiNzhcT 6 days ago