The BBC is now reporting that “it is all up in the air” as to what to do with Gaddafi’s body. This confusion, and what is potentially at stake, should not be forgotten, particularly because it reflects on the question of whether to bring dictators to court to stand trial for their alleged crimes. Some argue that the trial is counter-productive in the sense that it allows the dictator to grandstand and rally his supporters in a way that threatens the political task of rebuilding peace. But the alternative – killing the dictator – is not without its political, as well as moral and legal, drawbacks. The BBC is also reporting that the UN human rights chief is calling for an investigation into the death of Gaddafi. Cameron would do well to back this as a way of minimising the damage he did last night.
- Abdulmutallab Alexander Arab Spring Awlaki Blair Bosnia Brennan Cameron Cohen conservatism democracy promotion detention drones Gaddafi Guantanamo hierarchy humanitarian intervention ICC imminence Iran Iraq Iraq Inquiry Jenkins Kennan Kosovo Kosvo Labour Latif liberal conservatism liberal interventionism Libya military commissions moralism nashiri NATO neoconservatism New Statesman new statesman; liberal interventionism niger Palestine Preventive Military Action PSD10 Rawnsley realism regime change riots sanctions Security Council self-defense Stewart Syria targeted killing UN United Nations unreasonable veto UN Security Council veto war on terror WMD Yemen
- RT @BritJPIR: We're looking for a new Editorial Assistant! Details and Apply here >> vacancies.ed.ac.uk/pls/corehrrecr… #Jobs #Hiring Closing Date 6 N… 17 hours ago
- RT @saladinahmed: just a reminder that it has been less than 3 weeks since a white American man shot 600 people with a legally obtained ass… 1 day ago
- RT @DanielWand1: CfP - 'Protecting Human Rights in a Changing and Insecure World' postgraduate workshop, Leeds Deadline: 30/11/2017 - https… 2 days ago
- RT @alexbuskie: Punchy op-ed on #rohingya crisis from the excellent @WordsAreDeeds huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-kate-fergus… #genprev #atrocityprev #uk #Fore… 4 days ago
- RT @Independent: Trump's Nafta negotiators 'don't like what they're being told to demand' independent.co.uk/news/world/ame… 4 days ago